We are looking to grow the Back End Team at Vizzuality with people who have experience and proficiency in NodeJS/TypeScript.
We are open for both mid and senior profiles. We are offering a salary range of 30K - 48K Euros (depending on your experience), and we are open to exploring full time and part-time contracts options (with a minimum of 50% time dedication) depending on the candidate's needs.
We have operations in Spain, Portugal and the UK, and at this moment, people are working remotely or at our office in Madrid. You are very welcome to join us if you are eligible to work in any of these three countries.
1. Would you like to be part of Vizzuality’s story?
Are you motivated by the desire to help build a sustainable planet for all life on Earth? Are you looking for a new opportunity?
Vizzuality’s purpose is to reach a fair and sustainable planet by creating tools that radically empower people to make positive changes now.
We are a world-leading technology, design and science agency. We design and develop data-driven tools and applications for international organizations that focus on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Inequality.
Solving such large and complex problems will bring you into contact with new technology and some of the world’s most interesting organizations and academics in machine learning, remote sensing, and planetary data. You’ll be working on projects like these:
2. Our Culture “This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, therefore we need to make sure we care about our people and give them the power to build great things. These are some of the principles that define our culture:
- Our team structure relies on self-organization.
- We want to work with colleagues who don't have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instructions.
- As soon as you step inside, we will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then we will trust you to do great things.
- We use our deep understanding of people’s needs to spark delight.
- Our choices are based on science, research, and design principles.
- For ourselves, our colleagues, the organization.
- We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
- As we are always embarking on new projects and challenges, a continuous learning mindset and a “Can Do” attitude is a must
- We are conscientious, we focus on learning and achieving our goals
- We give power to people so they can make decisions, and plot their own paths with help from all around them
We have fun:
- We also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun.
- If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
We are a Self-Managed Organization: Below you will find some characteristics that make people successful in an organization like ours:
- Motivation: The willingness and aspiration to excel in the pursuit of unselfish, collective goals; deep personal humility and a focus on self-improvement.
- Curiosity: The instinct to seek new experiences, knowledge and feedback with an openness to learning and change.
- Insight: The ability to gather and make sense of information that suggests new possibilities.
- Engagement: The capacity to use emotion and reason to communicate a persuasive vision and connect with people.
- Determination: The ability to pursue and work on difficult goals despite challenges.
3. A day in the life of a Back End Engineer at Vizzuality
We’re looking for someone to work alongside a world class and super talented team of engineers, designers, researchers, scientists and project managers. Someone who is passionate about using their creativity and technical skills to make a difference in people’s lives, the environment and to help make the world a better place.
- You will be designing and developing cross-functional, multi-platform application systems to ingest, process, analyze and serve large amounts of data in the cloud, often in real time, and ensure their craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability.
- Working hands-on across our stack is one of the things Engineers at Vizzuality do the most.
- Our core stacks are NodeJS/TypeScript (with Express/Koa/NestJS as main frameworks depending on projects) and Ruby on Rails. You will be working on NodeJS/TypeScript projects and will also be experimenting with new technologies. If you don't know about a specific technology or get stuck on a tricky problem, you will always have someone around to help you learn and move forward.
- You will have the opportunity of taking ownership of projects and participating in meetings with clients at different stages of the development process in order to help define requirements, propose solutions and alternatives.
- A lot of your time will be spent liaising with data scientists, front-end engineers, project managers, and designers to find novel and creative technical solutions that solve specific client/project needs and integrate disparate technologies such as remote sensing, machine learning, image processing or statistical computing into public APIs
- You will also be communicating with users, colleagues, leading scientists and decision makers to collect requirements, describe features and technical designs, and define product strategy.
- Last but not least, our engineers ensure software quality, robustness, and compliance with standards by reviewing code, documenting, and creating automated tests.
4. These are some of the things you will do and achieve in your first year at Vizzuality.
In your first month:
- You’ll pair with your peers in the backend team so you get used to the way of doing things at Vizzuality.
- You’ll read documentation, write new features and participate in team meetings (weekly, with the possibility of daily stand ups on some projects).
- You’ll get to know people from the rest of the functional teams (science, design, front-end, business development) and development teams.
- At the end of your first month, you’ll be joining a longer project.
During the following months:
- You’ll develop ownership of the project you’ve been assigned to.
- You’ll write features, documentation, tests and fixes. You will be joining the back end work within your project team and with support from the back end functional group.
- You’ll also have opportunities to develop your skills around data-rich application engineering, cloud computing and data processing.
- Finally, you’ll participate in the definition of architectures and functional features for new project phases or new projects.
By the end of the first year:
- You’ll already have written several innovative features for ground-breaking projects with large real-world impact (we absolutely mean this!).
- You’ll be taking ownership of substantive features within larger backend projects.
5. Skills and experiences we are looking for in a candidate
(*) Even if you think you don't tick all the boxes below, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team and aligned with our purpose!
For Mid-level profiles:
- You have fluency and feel comfortable using NodeJS/TypeScript.
- A few years of experience in a relevant position (ie. Back End, Software Engineer, etc.)
- Experience with the full life cycle of a project, including production deployments, and at least medium sized code bases.
- SQL and/or document-based datasets in production projects
- Experience working and/or designing with services and components within larger, modular architectures such as microservices systems.
- Docker or container technologies for development environments and for production deployments.
For Senior profiles:
(*) All mid profiles requirements, plus the following:
- Solid experience and proficiency in NodeJS/TypeScript.
- Solid experience with general server-side programming concepts and patterns and with designing and building APIs.
- High level of ownership and autonomy, who can add value to the team with little supervision after the onboarding period.
- Experience mentoring and supporting junior peers
- Experience working and leading conversations with clients and other key stakeholders
Anything else to impress us? Over time, we’d like this role to take on more responsibilities. If you have experience across one/some/all of the areas below, or would like to learn more about any of them, we would love to hear more about it!
- Cloud APIs (e.g. cloud storage, cloud functions, etc.).
- Rails and/or Python
- Data Engineering. ETL (Extract, Transfer, Load) understanding. Knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
6. Compensation, Benefits & Growth “This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
- We are offering an annual salary between 30.000 - 48.000 Euros. This range is only an indication and we will agree on your final salary together based on your specific experience and profile.
- Annual profit sharing bonus plan. Team bonus up to 10% of the salary depending on the company's performance.
- 1000 Eur Referral Bonus. If you bring someone you know to the team and we hire them you get 1000 € after six months.
- A training allowance of 1500 €/year for courses, workshops, conferences, volunteering, innovation projects, or meetups of your choice, including travel and lodging.
- “4 Weeks Growth Sabbatical” when you reach 10 years at Vizz.
- Peer mentoring plus support in the self-reflection process and design of your career path that will suit your interests and growth needs.
- Free English & Spanish Lessons
- Support for personal projects and initiatives like giving talks, contributing to open source projects, and to give/receive internal training
Wellbeing & Paid Time Off.
- 26 days of vacation (plus local bank holidays)
- An additional holiday day on your birthday :)
- Additional “Sustainable Travel Days” - up to 2 extra paid days if you choose more sustainable ways of traveling.
- When you get to complete 5 years working at Vizz, you will receive 3 extra days and they will be added to your holiday's allowance forever.
- Caregiving Support: up to 3 extra paid days to care for and support a dependent person (ie. newborn babies, children, elders or other relatives)
- If you are based in Spain, you can also opt to enroll in a Health & Dental Insurance subsidized by the company.
- Mental health support via Spill, our third-party provider, to connect you with qualified counselors and curated resources.
Flexibility & Remote Work
- Flexible schedules and Part-Time working arrangements.
- Remote work if you are based in either Spain, Portugal or UK
- We will provide you with everything you need to do great work (ie. laptop, tools, and work from home equipment)
- 2 annual gatherings paid by the company.
7. Recruitment Process Overview
Do you have what it takes to change the world? If after reading the description of the role, you like our culture and you believe you have what it takes to join Vizzuality, please send us your application.
This is what the recruitment process looks like. Below there are some suggestions for you to include and consider in your application.
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and what you can bring to the team. Please include any samples of your work and projects you find relevant to the offer.
- Fluent English is really important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV and Cover Letter. We will not consider applications that are not sent in English.
- This is a 60-minute informal interview so you can get to know a bit better the company, our culture and ask any questions about the role and our ways of working.
- From our side, we are interested in understanding more about what you are looking for, your current skill level and experience, and what you care about.
- We will invite you to complete an assignment to get a better understanding of your skills, the way you organize your ideas, and also how you would go about sharing what we do with our partners and clients.
- We will send you via email an assignment for you to prepare, and then we will ask you to send us your ideas back in 1 week.
- You will be meeting with a few of us and we will deep-dive into your experience and skills. You will also have the space to share more about the challenge you shared with us in the previous stage of the process.
- This will be another opportunity for you to ask us questions about the role and the company.