Join Vizzuality’s Talent Pool!
Are you motivated by the desire to help build a sustainable planet for all life on Earth? Are you looking for a new opportunity? Vizzuality’s purpose is to reach a fair and sustainable planet by creating tools that radically empower people to make positive changes now.
We are a world-leading technology, design and science agency. We design and develop data-driven tools and applications for international organizations that focus on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Inequality.
Solving such large and complex problems will bring you into contact with new technology and some of the world’s most interesting organizations and academics in machine learning, remote sensing, and planetary data. You’ll be working on projects like these:
If there are no open vacancies, can I send you my details? Yes of course!
At this moment, we don't have any open job vacancies, but we’re always looking for people who are passionate about using their creativity and skills to make a difference in people’s lives, the environment and help make the world a better place.
We’re excited to grow our team with curious, empathetic, and honest people with whom we can learn and develop professionally and personally together.
If after reading the description below, you like our culture and believe you have what it takes to join Vizzuality, please send us your application so we can add you to our talent pool.
Things you should include and consider in your application:
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and what you can bring to the team. Please include any samples of your code and projects you find relevant to the role.
- Fluent English is really important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV and Cover Letter. We will not consider applications that are not sent in English.
- We have operations in Spain, Portugal and the UK, and at this moment, people are working remotely or at our office in Madrid. You are very welcome to join us if you are eligible to work in any of these three countries.
Will I be hearing back from Vizzuality any time soon?
As soon as we open a vacancy that matches your profile, we will contact you so we can agree on a time to get to know each other. We thank you once again for choosing Vizzuality as your employer of choice. That means a lot to us!
Software Engineers at Vizzuality
These are some of the TASKS you will be doing as a Software Engineer at Vizzuality:
- You will work with agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full stack of development tools and technologies.
- Liaising with data scientists, engineers (Front, Back), project managers, and designers to find novel and creative technical solutions that solve specific client/project needs and integrate disparate technologies such as remote sensing, machine learning, image processing or statistical computing into public APIs
- Ensuring software quality, robustness, and compliance with standards by reviewing code, documenting, and creating automated tests.
- Prototyping solutions using new technologies to push the boundaries of what can be done in terms of capacity, speed, and functionality.
- You will learn and experiment with new technologies to understand how evolving trends affect our domain and apply them to our projects.
These are some of the SKILLS & EXPERIENCES we value in the Software Engineer team:
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces to back-end systems and all points in between. The more skills and experiences you can bring to Vizzuality, the better!
- Some of the challenges we tackle on a day-to-day basis require graph knowledge, GIS awareness, and databases, like PostgreSQL.
- Experience with cloud-based server solutions like AWS or GCP is valued if you work in API development or in DevOps.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and deployments.
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Passionate about learning and sharing new technologies with the team. It’s fundamental that you bring a continuous learning mindset and a “Can Do” attitude as we are always embarking on new projects.
- Interest in solving environmental and social issues.
Our Culture “This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, therefore we need to make sure we care about our people and give them the power to build great things. These are some of the principles that define our culture:
- Our team structure relies on self-organization.
- We want to work with colleagues who don't have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instructions.
- As soon as you step inside, we will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then we will trust you to do great things.
- We use our deep understanding of people’s needs to spark delight.
- Our choices are based on science, research, and design principles.
- For ourselves, our colleagues, and the organization.
- We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
- As we are always embarking on new projects and challenges, a continuous learning mindset and a “Can Do” attitude is a must
- We are conscientious, we focus on learning and achieving our goals
- We give power to people so they can make decisions, and plot their own paths with help from all around them
We have Fun:
- We also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun.
- If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
We are a Self-Managed Organization and these are some characteristics that make people successful in an organization like ours:
- Motivation: The willingness and aspiration to excel in the pursuit of unselfish, collective goals; deep personal humility and a focus on self-improvement.
- Curiosity: The instinct to seek new experiences, knowledge and feedback with an openness to learning and change.
- Insight: The ability to gather and make sense of information that suggests new possibilities.
- Engagement: The capacity to use emotion and reason to communicate a persuasive vision and connect with people.
- Determination: The ability to pursue and work on difficult goals despite challenges.
Compensation, Benefits & Growth “This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
- We will offer a competitive salary depending on your experience.
- Annual profit-sharing bonus plan. Team bonus up to 10% of the salary depending on the company's performance.
- 1000 Eur Referral Bonus. If you bring someone you know to the team and we hire them you get 1000 € after six months.
- A training allowance of 1500 €/year for courses, workshops, conferences, volunteering, innovation projects, or meetups of your choice, including travel and lodging.
- “4 Weeks Growth Sabbatical” when you reach 10 years at Vizz.
- Peer mentoring plus support in the self-reflection process and design of your career path that will suit your interests and growth needs.
- Free English & Spanish Lessons
- Support for personal projects and initiatives like giving talks, contributing to open source projects, and to give/receive internal training
Wellbeing & Paid Time Off.
- 26 days of vacation (plus local bank holidays)
- An additional holiday day on your birthday :)
- Additional “Sustainable Travel Days” - up to 2 extra paid days if you choose more sustainable ways of traveling.
- When you get to complete 5 years working at Vizz, you will receive 3 extra days and they will be added to your holiday allowance forever.
- Caregiving Support: up to 3 extra paid days to care for and support a dependent person (ie. newborn babies, children, elders or other relatives)
- If you are based in Spain, you can also opt to enroll in Health & Dental Insurance subsidized by the company.
- Mental health support via Spill, our third-party provider, to connect you with qualified counselors and curated resources.
Flexibility & Remote Work
- Flexible schedules and Part-Time working arrangements.
- Remote work if you are based in either Spain, Portugal or UK
- We will provide you with everything you need to do great work (ie. laptop, tools, and work-from-home equipment)
- 2 annual gatherings paid for by the company.